I never put address details on sheds or garages.

The building=house is on the
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Building page. That's as
official as it can get for me.
Also use building=apartment whenever I can/remember/wrote down.

I did use AGIV for some of my more recent "expeditions". Unfortunately, it
did not help me in a few cases. I had numbers from mailboxes on the street,
but didn't know the houses (in private area). AGIV had none of them.

With my new workflow (address nodes generated from GPX waypoints), I first
have them in a separate layer. I use the lasso tool to select all nodes in
1 street. Then add street (but could easily add city, country, postcode) as
well to the whole selection.
No need for any of the plugins. But I used them before (for the work in
Aartselaar e.g.).

A question regarding houses without numbers (e.g. churches, libraries, ...)
 The official address is e.g. Kerkstraat z/n
How is that mapped ? addr:housenumber = z/n does not sound correct to me.

m.