On 2013-09-10 14:08, Nicolas Pettiaux wrote:
Thanks. Could you contact him to ask ?

I propose to start considering to setup a Belgian OSM site in Dutch, French, English and German if we have enough people to translate in German.

Would Drupal be appropriate to setup such a multilingual site ? Do anyone of us know Drupal (or any other easy and well know tool that would do the job) or mediawiki ?

What would be the hardware we need ? (CPUs, RAM, hard disk)

It would totaly depend on what you mean by Belgian OSM site.

I would personally not use drupal for such a site but use a framework (staying in the PHP realm here) like Laravel4 or Symphony2. But that also depends on what I have in mind for such a site. I do think Drupal and wordpress is overkill, I use wordpress for my personal blog just because I'm a developper , so by definition I'm lazy and don't want to spend too much time. Drupal/Wordpress and the like are pretty much OK for a blog oriented site.

You could run this from a 20$ per month linode (see https://www.linode.com/ ). In fact, using nginx as a webserver, mariaDB instead of mysqlDB and spending a good chunk of time tuning it, you can run several sites easily. I have like 10 of them on it and also a piwik instance (~= opensource version of what google analytics does). So another 10 sites use it to store visitor data in in (just like analytics do it). I do have some caching going on , good practise anyway as most of the files are just staticly served but come from

If your goal is to start building up database, do tileserving or create nominatim DB's, the specs go up a lot. Then you would arrive in the price for a cloud server range of a co-located server, cloud servers aren't suited either for heavy indexing, a solution for that would be to use a something like a EBS device (elastic block store - see http://aws.amazon.com/ebs ) and is expensive.

On the other hand, if you want a true 'beast' of a server, I would recommend (of course) linux + the Revodrive 3 x2 (personally I would get 2 of those and stripe them over the PCI bus) see http://tweakers.net/serie/1908/revodrive-x2/

That drive has insane specs compaired to regular SATA SSD's. Check out http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2pgsql/benchmarks there is one that has numbers from a revodrive from the past, and you'll see why I would use that one. The performance is huge compaired to the price range.

I would also not pay too much attention to CPU's. Most of them will be able to server thousands of sites in the webserver scenario. Given the huge datasets in the latter case, I would totally spend all my money on RAM, the more the better as it speeds up postgreSQL and indexing exponentially.

So, question back:  What are you planning to do with the site ?

Glenn