On 2013-12-06 09:09, Wouter Hamelinck wrote :
I wrote several times without reaction that the law states that the law (e.g. the Moniteur) cannot be copyrighted, that the boundaries are part of the law (normally in the Moniteur) and hence that the boundaries cannot be copyrighted. The same applies to road signs.

Don't you agree?
OK, I'll bite.
- If it is not in the Moniteur/Staatsblad it is definitely not a law.
(reaction to the use of "e.g." and "normally")
- Yes, you can use the Staatsblad/Moniteur to map things. Not sure how
you would do that.
- I am interested to know to which laws you are referring. Especially
the ones that define the boundaries. I've never found those.
We have had a discussion that the change that is going to happen to the border between Belgium and Netherlands WILL be published in the M/S WITH the coordinates or equivalent (otherwise it would be meaningless). We wrote that if the equivalent data for the other boundaries is not easy or impossible to find in the M/S it's because they date from times when computers did not exist (sorry, I'm late sending this and if I'm duplicating what others write).
BTW, you can't extract computer from a plain PDF document; they're made to be printed.
- This does NOT imply that something contafining boundaries is by definition not copyrightable. The colors black and white can not be copyrighted. This does not imply that any black and white photograph can't be copyrighted. In our case, if someone makes his own representation of the boundaries (e.g. a digitization), that is definitely copyrighted.
This is not about copyrighting the dot.  This is about copyrighting where dots are. Digitize what?  The definition of a boundary is already digits.  That is public information and it must be publicly available.  Anyone copying public data from such a government publication cannot disallow copying it further, but the rest yes, that's what "copyrighting the law" means.
How could you track them with a GPS anyway?
Where does all the data of the OSM boundaries of  the world come from?
There is a map overlaying SPW and OSM maps. The borderlines were duplicated. SPW simply removed theirs, no complaint about ours, they seemed to find them perfectly normal.
- Road signs can not be copyrighted. OK, that means that you can draw one without getting sued for it. Not sure what it has to do with mapping.
Just like copyrighting the dot, this is not about copyrighting the form of the signals.
It has to do with mapping where the signs are (on the road, need I say).
If we see a map or photograph showing road signs, we can use their position for OSM but not copy the whole map or photograph.  Only the artwork can be copyrighted.

Cheers,

André.