Thanks for your help, when I did all that I got the message:
Could not find the main class:
com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.JUMPWorkbench.
It looks like I have some problems with JAVA. I have both JAVA and OpenJDK
installed.
So I will install a new distro (which I've been meaning to do for months)
and try running it their without having to worry about the clutter with my
current setup. It is late, so I will retire now, but I will work on this in
this weekend.

Thanks

Sam