Hum,
ok, where can I find the gml files? What size do you want your slice to be?
The solution would be to use ogr2ogr first to transform into a shapefile.
The next step is to transform the shapefile into an osm file. Finally, you
would be using Osmosis to cut using bounding box.
No need for Postgis in this case. Postgis would be needed if you wanted to
have something more complicated. In this case, command line tools are
available. I could probably create a small python script doing this in a few
hours.
Potential problem here is that shapefile contains only one layer of the same
type by default. Any GML files with different kind of geometries like
Linestring or polygone would need to be put into separate shapefiles.

Emilie Laffray