Hello all!

Statistics Canada was a partner of the 2017 HOT Summit held in Ottawa, Sept
14-15. In parallel to the summit, Statistics Canada hosted a workshop to
discuss the possibility of launching a community-led initiative titled
"Building Canada 2020".

The goal and vision of this initiative is simple: map all buildings in Canada
on OSM by the year 2020. The workshop was well attended. There were about 50
people from various sectors (federal, academic, civic group, and private). This
was a preliminary discussion amongst a small group of people, but now that
broad interest has been confirmed more stakeholders need to be involved!

A short summary of the workshop along with a first draft Roadmap to
implementation has been posted on the OSM Wiki at:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Canada/Building_Canada_2020

Everyone that shares the vision of "mapping all buildings in Canada on OSM by
the year 2020" is invited to contribute to the discussion and the roadmap to
implementation. In addition, there is still need to discuss how coordination,
communication and governance of this initiative can be set in place.

One important aspect that needs to be emphasized is that "Building Canada 2020"
is not a Statistics Canada project. In fact, it is not properly a project of
any sort. It is a vision and an aspirational goal. The hope is that many
organizations and contributors working with an open data resource (OSM) can
coordinate their efforts through a multitude of projects, initiatives, and
activities towards a common goal that would benefit society at large.

My team at Statistics Canada (DEIL) has been working on a pilot project with
OSM (which was presented at the HOT Summit). We are looking at the possibility
of a second Statistics Canada project to expand to other cities the work done
with the pilot in Ottawa and Gatineau. If this happens, this StatCan project
would contribute to, and align with, the Building Canada 2020 initiative.
Hopefully this will be but one of many projects and activities contributing to
the vision. Where possible, we would be happy to coordinate work with other
organizations or groups that share the vision. We would also be happy to share
experiences and the tools developed while working with building information on
OSM.

We look forward to further collaboration with the OSM communities as we move
forward with the second phase of our project and expand to more cities.

Best regards
Alessandro and DEIL Team