From the wiki, I am proposing this format specifically:

However, convert that to "contact:phone=" instead.

The reason I like the one with hypens (vs spaces) is that when you add additional comments in the field as in "+1-800-555-1234 (toll-free)" or use the letters instead of numbers "+1-555-GOT-BEER" the hypens make it much more clear what is part of the phone number and what is not.

On 2018-02-05 05:02 PM, OSM Volunteer stevea wrote:
Hey, a discussion for multi-contact and phone tag semantics-meets-syntax.
Excellent!

Note how our tag:phone wiki https://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Key:phone hews pretty strongly to ITU-T E.164.  That is
a goal to shoot for, as what it calls "user agents" is what I referred to as "a phone number
parser."  There is some caution ("not voted on just documentation of use") about
country-specific usage, should Canada fully embrace something unique.

I can also imagine a "sweeper script" (specific to Canada geographically, if
you wish) which does selecting-new-and-possibly-unorthodox phone numbers getting run once
in a while, say twice a year, to keep a checking eye on things.  That could be a short
Overpass Turbo script plus a few minutes of human analysis similar to the sort you
(Matthew) are doing now.

Like mowing the lawn, as I think about it.  Sure, I had to buy a lawnmower and
I even sharpen the blades now and then.  So, the task is easy.

SteveA
California