> I regularly extract all OSM elements containing "C/", "C." and
> "Avda." and a few months ago I replaced most of them using JOSM. I
> only left those in East part of Spain, as I didn't know if the
> correct replacement would be "calle" or "carrer", "avenida" or
> "avinguda". I can send current file to anyone interested in have a
> look at it and continue the work.

"Calle" will be correct in Spanish, but "Carrer" will be the right one to
use in Catalan, or "Rúa" in Galician. OSM can store the street name in
several different tags, one for each language, so there is no need to
choose one language over the others.

What I don't know and I would have to check is if there is the need for a
"primary name tag" (name), or it is perfectly fine and correct to have one
or more "language-specific name tags" such as "name:es" and "name:ca" for a
given street, and there is no real need for a "name" tag is there is any
amount of "name:xx" present for the item.

Cheers.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436, Linux Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (3.2.0-35-generic-pae)