Avec Frederik en copie

> De : Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org>

> As I said, the majority of French contributors has never had any problem with
> DWG whatsoever. (Of several thousand active contributors, only a
dozen or so has ever been blocked.) Of course, if you whip up sentiments like
Eric does marvellously ("look! they simply changed their rules
without asking us! that's an aggression don't you think? our nation is
in danger!") then people will side with him - especially as Eric is
capable of speaking to the French community in their own language,
whereas we have nobody in DWG able to do that.

I don`t say that a lot of french contributors has been block, I just
report that a lot of people reacted to the fact that some french mappers has
been blocked. Eric didnt make any call...

> > > Blocking some people like you would do in case of vandalism is
> > > considered as an agression...

> Nobody is ever blocked by DWG without being talked to first - and while we
don't do French very well, we are always polite, try to explain the
issue to people, and we go to some lengths to translate messages if we
find that the person in question doesn't understand English.

The fact that DWG starts to send message to Christian and Sly to ask them
to contact people in French is a very good point for sure.

> This may be an inconvenience for a mapper, but I think that naming it an
> "aggression" is going too far.

Sorry for this but this is exactly the problem you mention above concerning
DWG that cannot speak french. English is not my mother language so this
is best effort, the words I use are certainly not exactly what I could
say in French so please don`t focus on the terms.

> I have nothing against starting a political process that tries to find
answers to all the questions that Christian asked in his talk message
you linked to: What authority does OSMF have, what authority does DWG
have, how doe we make rules in this project anyway, does the world-wide
community have a right to tell the French what to do (or do the French
have the right to tell the people in Toulouse what to do), and so on. In fact,
having recently been elected to the OSMF board, this whole
question of "who makes rules and how and why are they allowed to" is one of my
pet issues that I hope to work on.

> However, working on
answering all these question does not mean that in the mean time, the
French community can have their own rules while everyone else doesn't.
Until such time as a replacement is agreed upon, the current import
guidelines remain in force and this means that you need a spearate
account if you import any significant amount of data.

I know your position and what was in your manifesto and for me the two
previous paragraphs are not coherent. The french guidelines exists for
2-3 years at least for cadastre import and the modification that make
separated account mandatory occured in 2011. Who override the existing
rules if we consider dates ??
For me this is really surprising for a communautary project to set new rules
whithout considering  before what was already existing and trying to discuss
with local communities to try to create something that could match

The main problem here is the top-bottom approach and I`m really suprised
considering you personal position about community, governance etc that
you do not understand why there is a problem for our point a view( I
don`t talk about shahre our point of view )
The situation would have been different if DWG had first contact every
communities to check how they proceed ( why, how ), propose and discuss a
common global rule and then ask to communities to make them apply locally

PS : I would prefer to discuss around a beer to avoid all misunderstanding that
can occur due to the talk through a mailing list...

best regards
Julien