On 07/05/12 13:19, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> As a relatively new mapper, two things stand out to me.
>
> 1) What Potlatch offers will be used. That means
> h=footway/cycleway/bridleway/track will be used over h=path
>
> 2) The footway/cycleway/bridleway classification scheme makes perfect
> sense to me. Any path I see I in town I can easily classify into one
> of the three - most are footways, some are dedicated cycleways, and on
> somewhere like Wimbledon Common there is a dedicated bridleway. Thus
> h=path is something I would perceive as a fallback.
>
> Note that at no point am I caring about designated rights of way. That
> is a much more complex thing to determine it would seem, and not
> something that a casual or new mapper would be bothered by.
>
> Tag the broad view of what you see. The PROW or other stuff is
> *detail*. Let normal mappers add the basic
> footway/cycleway/bridleway/track, and expert mappers add the detail
> later.

This. I agree with this *so much*.

People map to the level of detail they're comfortable with, and that's a
strength not a weakness. Legal designations, access rights and surface
type are pointless detail to a new mapper. Therefore whatever docs we
write should encourage the use of the most expressive single-tag scheme
for a thing up front because that enables new users to enter fairly
informative data in the most comfortable way for them.

--
Andrew Chadwick