>People map to the level of detail they're comfortable with, and that's a
>strength not a weakness. Legal designations, access rights and surface
>type are pointless detail to a new mapper.

Sorry but I do have to say this. In an area (UK outside of Scotland) where
sadly, you're not free to roam where you like, access rights are *absolutely
vital detail* for walkers and other users of the countryside and indicating
them explicitly where known, either via designation, or foot/horse/bicycle =
(designated/yes - the two I consider equivalent), permissive or private is
essential. They should only be left out where they are not known.

I don't see it as a problem for new mappers to understand the meaning of the
designation or access tags. They're quite straightforward really!

When I walk in a new area I need to know which paths are OK and which are
unfortunately off limits.

Nick