Hey All,

This is a very interesting discussion - wish I'd spotted it a bit earlier.

My primary interest as someone-adding-to-OSM is places I can / can't walk, so
this discussion definitely affects the walking routes/paths I (feel I am)
looking after in/around South Bucks.

I always use Potlatch an editor, and so the majority of the paths I have added
are highway=footpath, unless I know it's designated as a bridleway in which
case I've set it as highway=bridleway. If I use a path, but it's not actually
signed as a public or otherwise footpath then I think I should use
highway=path, but actually tend to just use highway=footpath as it's there for
me in Potlatch.

Semantically it feels cleaner to use highway=path/track/service depending on
width and condition (a tarmac'd driveway I tag as service, a muddy path that is
wide enough to fit a car is a track for me, narrower is just a path) and *then*
adding designation tags e.g. public_footpath or permissive_footpath (as is
around the Hampden estate). In my experience around Bucks, walkers, cyclists
and horse riders all use the same paths, so I only add specific access tags
when it is a 'NO' (as in a few "no cycles" signs around here, against mostly in
the Hampden Estate area).

My dilemma is that essentially all of my walking routes so far are
highway=footpath / highway=bridleway with very little designation= (because I
haven't done much mapping since I saw designation= being discussed), so
changing to a combination of path/track/service & designation would be quite a
chunk of work. I'm up for doing it, if that's a good thing to do.

Is there any consensus on whether this is a good thing to do or not (yet)? If
it is a good thing, then I'd love to see Potlatch updated somehow to allow for
this (perhaps changing "footpath" to be highway=path & adding "public footpath"
with highway=path/designation=public_footway), and would be up for doing that
piece of work if that helps, as it would really help me.

On a minor tangent - is there any pattern or spec around tagging the signposts
at all? I'm starting to think it would be useful, as not all junctions have
sign posts, and so it could help people know which junction is which when on a
new walk. I had a quick search on the wiki, but couldn't find anything (I could
be searching for the wrong thing).

Oh, and I've just spotted the Google Doc, so will try to add my thoughts to
that if I get some free time later on.

Hope this makes sense,

Adam