Andy:  Thanks for the confirmation.  For the data that might not be
compliant, I take it "OGL" is the terminology I'd look for as a check?
RE Bulk imports: most certainly not!!

Tom: There is a long, long list of England-wide shapefiles, each
downloadable with a couple of clicks from "
http://www.gis.naturalengland.org.uk/pubs/gis/GIS_register.asp";.  So far
I've downloaded "Local Nature Reserve" and "Sites of Special Scientific
Interest (England-wide)", opened them in Quantum GIS, and identified the
selections in my local area (of many thousands in total) that I'd use for
boundary fixing etc.   These are the ones that are of particular interest
to me, but I'd be happy to help more generally.  However, I'm pretty new to
all this -- it'd be good if someone more experienced could take a look and
judge what the best approach might be, e.g. a smaller list of shapefiles of
particular usefulness to the OSM project.

Thanks again.

David