Hi David,

Word of warning, from what I can remember the Local Nature Reserves data is
NOT part of the OGL licensed data and therefore cannot be used in OSM
(unless its license sets out conditions that are compatible wit osm - i
don't think it did).

I have looked at these datasets, many of which are land types and don't fit
in with OSM's current mapping. Useful data could include the CROW Open
Access land (I am hoping to expand the OSM wiki page on "UK access
provisions" to include this), and possibly Millennium Greens. The national
trails data could be used as a check against OSM but I believe it may be
out of data and of mixed accuracy.

Rob

p.s. In QGIS you can select just the shapes you want, save them as a new
layer (using the EPSG:4326 projection, and the ESRI shapefile format). In
Potlatch this new shape file can be loaded in via the Background>Vector
file.. menu. Finally if you alt click (shift ctrl click in linux) the shape
it brings it through to the OSM layer where you can edit the tags and save
it to OSM.

For more see: http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Richard/diary/16951