Hey Brian,

Brian Prangle schrieb:
Thanks for the simplification of that huge wiki down to 2 tags - I can
cope with that!

The protected planet website looks like a useful resource but
unfortunately it has this copyright statement : © ProtectedPlanet
2014-2015. All rights reserved.  So we shouldn't use it.****So what do I
use as a source for Natura 2000 status?
Another special NATURA 2000 viewer: <http://natura2000.eea.europa.eu/>

talk to the local municipality, the resort for nature care or a similar societies or non-governmentals. Some governments provides protected-areas-website like: <http://www.geodienste.bfn.de/schutzgebiete/> with IUCN-categories**.

All Natura 2000 areas are for protect_class=97, for "protected by continental agreements": the NATURA2000-network - Special Areas of Conservation (SAC) is builded or composed by
# Bird, ... -Sites - Special Protection Areas (SPAs),
# Habitats Sites - Sites of Community Importance (SCIs) and
# some marine environments
<http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/natura2000/index_en.htm>, in the wiki a "continental" protect-status.

*continental* (97) and *international* (98) status are centralised respectively to one protect_class to reduce the wikis complexity and because those status might be less important: they are mostly more "awards" than directives or rule-informations (these are on "lower" level areas). (Its still possible, bringing those status onto the protect_class too, may in the 70th or 80th numbers, but ...)

untill now, NATURA 2000-seperations (to SPAs, SCIs, marine) are possible, or allotted by "additional keys" like
# protection_title=* (Special Protection Area (SPA) - NATURA 2000 (SAC)),
# protection_object=* (birds),
any maybe ref-notations, in this format
# ref:ABBR:name=* + ref:ABBR:source=* + ref:ABBR:category=* + ref:ABBR=*
for example a wdpa-ID <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Database_on_Protected_Areas>: ref:WDPA=1234567 or more near "NATURA 2000" ref:SPA=UK123401 (its just suppose. There should be registers with the IDs of SACs (or/and SPAs, SCIs and marins) ... I'll look for a register ...

so in a web- or OSM-search, you might find "NATURA 2000 (SAC)" etc.. That is the point. I just see, lots of user named the area just "NATURA 2000". Its no name and wrong on my view. Maybe it can follow the name, like: "Dunes of glory (NATURA 2000)"...

> ... copyright statement ... All rights reserved
**btw.: On my view, the taxpayers are financing the WDPA ... and/but "Protected Planet was ... largely funded by investment from the private sector." (<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Database_on_Protected_Areas>) - I think, belongs more to the website technc itself. And to the data: they hadn't OSM on their mind. ... I don't know. you can take their website-infos for a first orientation and than ask the municipality ... maybe even the ProtectedPlanet-maker are wrong sometimes, so you get more serious data.

UK Protected Site websites
<http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=4>
<http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/natura2000/db_gis/index_en.htm#sites>

Also isn't the tag leisure=nature_reserve?
oh - a scatty annotation alongside me. sorry, yes, sure.
(because the "leisure" is more unfitting for me than "landuse" ... )

regards,
tshrub

Regards

Brian
**
**
**
**

On 26 October 2015 at 12:23, tshrub
<my-email-confirmat...@online.de
<mailto:my-email-confirmat...@online.de>>
wrote:

    Hey Brian,

    Brian Prangle schrieb:

        Do we need to tag Natura 2000 SACs and SPAs?  I've looked at the
        protected_area wiki page and quite frankly lost the will to
        live. From
        looking at taginfo the tagging schema doesn't appear to be too
        popular
        in the UK.

    someone from the UK should try to "familiarise" or incorporate
    Britains tagging schema into the table?

<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area#Nature-protected-areas>

    by areal access or action restictions, you have different types or
    layers. For example: a SAC often emerged out of an (old) nature
    reserve, so a SAC commonly covers and overlap(!) one. And those both
    might again covered (partial) from another type...

    you know that site: <http://www.protectedplanet.net/>
    there are too britain areas and you can deviate protect_classes

    a SAC would be
    boundary=protected_area
    + protect_class=97

    for nature reserves
    + protect_class=4
    I still use in addition landuse=nature_reserve because of visualisation

    regards,
    tshrub