Hey Brian,

> Hi tshrub

> I looked at the WDPA licence
from that link, I think:
<http://www.unep-wcmc.org/policies/wdpa-data-licence>

> abd found this in it
> The WDPA Materials may not be sub-licensed in whole or in part including within Derivative Works without the prior written permission of UNEP-WCMC

> Has anybody asked permission do you know?
I found in a first run that:
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Potential_Datasources#World_Database_on_Protected_Areas_.28WDPA.29_.28Rejected.29>
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WDPA_data_use_email_request>

I just use single WDPA-data information (mostly IUCN-level).
In witch range you plan to use the data?

Ask the WDPA again ("WDPA_data_use_email_request"). The last request seems to be six years ago. And ask, which data in which coverage or range - and what is explicit deprecate.

> The OSM wiki page on WDPA is very well-written but makes no mention of whether the data is open for OSM purposes.
which page?

a german wikipedia WDPA-version tells *about* that:
<https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Database_on_Protected_Areas#Nutzungsrechte_der_Datenbank>
-------------------------------
The database is, inter alia, through a web based online interface accessible at all times and provides its data under the Conservation Commons to the general public. Nevertheless, there are further restrictions on use:
    the database will not be used commercially.
    The database or its use may not be licensed in any further way.
If data material partially or completely used in publications, each of the current status needs to be used. Furthermore, the reference to the source is required and calls for the sending of two copies of the publication. For online information used one insists on putting a link to the database. [http://www.protectedplanet.net/terms. broken]

As registered users interested in data for further use of the database can be downloaded to their own systems. However, the ability to utilize these data sets, a geographic information system (GIS) and the interpretation of the KML format requires possibility

I'm no registered user.

> Regards

> Brian

regards,