OK finally spotted what is going thanks to the new style sheet ;)

The question is where do we get the 'tertiary' designation from since in
many cases there is little to distinguish those roads from
'unclassified'. Both are potentially good quality national speed limit
routes and in my case they are regular elements of the routes I take out
to the motorway or other primary route and the level of lorry traffic
probably confirms they are essential secondary roads. I have been here
before and re-tagged roads in the past to remove 'residential' or
'service' from secondary routes. This is not so much 'tagging for
rendering or routng', but rather maintaining continuity of traffic
routes. Now 'unclassified' has to be included in that grouping so that
the secondary routes at least appear even if now in white.

For some reason the particular roads I'm looking at are not actually
appearing on the French rendering and I STILL have not managed to get
tilemill or now kosmtik to render my own style sheet for a comparison.
What is bloody annoying here is that tilemill was working nicely a month
ago :( Now it's throwing errors when trying to reinstall, and while
kosmtik is just throwing deprecated warnings on maxzoom  it's not
actually producing tiles ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL