On 04/11/15 12:54, James Tait wrote:

If I were to follow the guidelines in that changeset, Uttoxeter Road
(B5020) would be a tertiary road, and Etwall Road would be
unclassified.  I don't know which roads are maintained by the Highways
Agency, but my gut says that the A38 would be a trunk road, and the A516
might be primary.

Stop. Go no further. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 pounds.

highway=trunk is NOT the same as a UK Trunk road

The rule in the UK is simple:

highway=trunk is the Primary Route Network (green signed A roads)
highway=primary is other A roads (white signs)
highway=secondary is all B roads

That has been the rule for the best part of ten years, gives good results, and is generally easily observable on the ground.

Tertiary is, as we've been discussing, more complicated. It is generally used for non-B roads that are none the less significant in some way.

If we did try and map it to sub-B classifications then we would probably have to do it on a per-authority basis as each authority has it's own classification scheme below B.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/