On 25/09/2017 13:36, SK53 wrote:
When this thread first started I thought we could work to remove these multiple meanings, but having seen what places with natural=heath from Corine imported-data in the Cevennes,  suspect that this is an unrealistic objective.

Well just because one bad import used "Tag A" is not necessarily a reason to not use "Tag A" elsewhere.  If we did that we'd never use highway=residential post-TIGER :)

The alternatives are to start sub-typing natural=heath, with heath or heath:type. The main category to identify in the short-term are the classic lowland heaths which are scarce & threatened in the UK.

Wikipedia has a partial tabulation <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaths_in_the_British_National_Vegetation_Classification_system> of the formal heath categories in the National Vegetation Classification, which may help as background reading. I'm sure that pretty much all communities in the U-group (calcifugous grassland & montane), several Mires (e.g., M15 & M16), and even some calcicolous upland grasslands are included in current natural=heath.

At a more practical level the JNCC Phase 1 <http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/PDF/pub10_handbookforphase1habitatsurvey.pdf> guide recognises 6 heath categories, of which 4 are relatively common: wet & dry heaths, and their respective mosaics with grassland. Anything where the peat depth in the soil is NOT regarded as a heath, but will be a Mire community (pennine moorland will be largely blanket bog in this terminology).

Both NVC <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:plant_community> & Phase1 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Key:habitat> have relevant pages on the wiki for (slightly) further info. NVC is clearly far too technical for just about everyone, but Phase1 is probably usable with a small bit of guidance.

Probably the best way to take this forward is to compile good examples of places people are likely to know (particularly in National Parks) which have a known classification AND a reasonable number of usable images on Geograph. Wales is the easiest place to do this because the whole of the country was mapped using Phase1.

What would be useful to me would be to know what questions I should be asking myself to allow something tagged sensibly down the line? Can they be reduced from the 11 pages in "pub10_handbookforphase1habitatsurvey.pdf" that you linked to and phrased in ways that I could actually understand ("Ulex europaeus, Cytisus scoparius and Juniperus communis scrub" is something that would make Oleksiy in the Latin "talk@" thread very happy, but it's all greek to me!)?

Best Regards,

Andy