On 16/12/2019 10:07, David Groom wrote:
I see no benefit to mapping individual fields as separate polygons tagged as farmland if adjacent fields are also farmland. Could you explain why you think this is best?

I see no reason why mapping individual fields would not be an objective for OSM. In that case, tagging them as farmland seems the sensible thing to do.

As always, the level of detail will depend on the priorities of mappers, and if no-one in the area is interested in fields, the detail might be limited to tens of square kilometres.