I tend to map to field boundaries: it's all farmland in my view, just not
necessarily productive. In particular strips of grass around arable may be
a short-term consequence of various subsidy schemes, or game cover crops.
Many ditches are there to improve the drainage of the fields so I'd see
them as an integral part of farmland. Similarly hedges, although now
protected, were an essential means of stock control in the days when many
farms were mixed (as they were in my childhood) and fields may have
regularly rotated between pasture & arable.

One type of vegetation on unproductive farmland which is quite common is
"tall herb". These might be the very unwelcome swathe of nettles in a field
corner where the plough cant reach, or thistles & Great Willowherb along a
slope down to a stream (these are classes C3.1 & C3.2 in the Phase 1
habitat classification, see wiki
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Plant_Community/UK_Phase_1_Habitat_Classification>),
but also stands of Japanese Knotweed or Rosebay Willowherb. They are
distinct from scrub because they die down in winter, although dead stems
may remain.

Jerry