On 16/12/2019 11:59, Gareth L wrote:
I’m all for using a polygon per field, but am unsure what to do at the
boundaries. Do I make 2 field polygons meet? Or leave a gap as there’s a
track/hedge/fence/small coppice/ ditch/drain ? I’m probably not going to be
able to map the boundary particularly accurately in a first pass, so would
rather omit than put in inaccurate barriers

If it helps, here's what I tend to do:

 * Firstly, I only tend to add farmland etc. after I've added fences,
   walls, ditches, gates, bits of woodland etc. (it's just easier that
   way around).
 * If the crop extends right up to the hedge, I'd tend to have the
   hedge sharing nodes with both fields.
 * If there's a ditch, track or other separating feature I'd try and
   draw the hedges either side (if they exist) and have the farmland
   not sharing nodes with the ditch but with the hedge (if it exists).
   Similarly I wouldn't attach farmland to roads.
 * If there's an uncultivated strip around the edge of the field I
   wouldn't tend to include that in the "field".  Similarly if an area
   is left as scrub (perhaps to wet for crops), I'd map as scrub.

None of this is definitive - people have different approaches. If you want examples of the above, have a look in my changeset history from > 3 months ago in the East Riding of Yorkshire for example https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/75049826 etc.

Best Regards,

Andy