On 8/13/2020 3:41 PM, Simon Still wrote:
Width of cycleyway is definitely useful if separated from traffic but some way of reflecting the comfort of the riding experience on marked routes would be a big step forward. Traffic Volumes,. Lane widths, traffic speed all contribute (as does surface - gravel bad, cobbles bad, smooth tarmac good)

Definitely. I have no solution to offer, but it's perhaps worth noting that there are several classes of user here - what's fine for a mountain bike may be downright uncomfortable for a racing bike, and what's fine for a leisurely Sunday excursion might be wholly unsuitable for a daily commute.

Another aspect which has a big effect on the cycling experience is the frequency of encountering walkers (especially dog walkers). If you frequently have to slow to a walking pace to get past safely, it rapidly spoils the experience.

Being on an NCN is definitely no guarantee: one of the least comfortable couple of mile's cycling I recall was on the NCN 3 at Penzance, for example.

John