> On 14 Aug 2020, at 09:31, Robert Skedgell <r...@hubris.org.uk> wrote:
>
> On 13/08/2020 15:41, Simon Still wrote:
>>
>> In my view there is definitely scope to look at adding more info to
>> cycle routes/tracks/cycleways to give more information to routing
>> algorithms about the real experience of using them.
>>
>> Would welcome input on what as we’re doing more on this at the London
>> Cycling Campaign.
>
> Is there any more information on what LCC are doing in this area? There
> are probably members, myself included, who would be happy to help.
>
> I know that borough groups audit changes to local infra, but having
> detailed photographs and notes are less useful to the wider cycling
> community than they could be if the information never finds its way onto
> OSM.

See the blog posts that I linked to.
Plus
 https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TfL_Cycling_Infrastructure_Database
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TfL_Cycling_Infrastructure_Database>

(Our involvement has now ended but TfL should be continuing to use CID info to
improve OSM accuracy)

More discussion planned within LCC and community to press for better navigation
and wayfinding

>> Width of cycleyway is definitely useful if separated from traffic but
>> some way of reflecting the comfort of the riding experience on marked
>> routes would be a big step forward. Traffic Volumes,. Lane widths,
>> traffic speed all contribute (as does surface - gravel bad, cobbles bad,
>> smooth tarmac good)
>
> Most sections of cycle routes in London which I use already have
> surface=* set, but there are areas where using smoothness=* consistently
> might help.

Good to know surface is already widely used - I’d managed to miss that in the
work I’d done.
Smoothness is a new tag for me

What has come up in discussions is that it would be good to map ‘restrictions’
more comprehensively and have routing algorithms that recognised them.

There are many sections of cycle route (such as canal towpaths) have many -
rough surface, steep inclines to rejoin roads, width
restrictions/gates/barriers to stop motorbikes and tight turning radii.  All of
those would create issues for someone using a bakfiets, cargo bike or
disability adapted cycle.

An objective would be to be able to plan a ‘disabled suitable route’

Simon Still;
Campaigns Team, LCC