On Sun, Oct 5, 2014 at 10:34 PM, Frank Steggink <stegg...@steggink.org> wrote:

> Regarding the highway = unclassified tag from the AND import: this was
> before my time, but I believe it was caused by a lack of granularity of the
> highway types in the original data.

No, the issue was an incorrect mapping of the AND highway type to the
openstreetmap highway type in the original import.AND had levels 1 to
5 and no level. These should have been mapped:
level 1-3: motorway, trunk, primary, secondary
level 4: tertiary
level 5: unclassified
no level: residential

but they were mapped:
level 1-3: primary?
level 4: secondary
level 5: tertiary
no level: unclassified

The incorrect secondary and tertiary roads have later been corrected
in a partially automated manner - roads that had not been touched were
changed automatically, after which the rest was done by manual clean
up of the map. The unclassifed-should-be-residentials have not been so
corrected. I think that the lack of a difference in the way it is
shown on Mapnik has been working against them being handled by users
on large scale.

--
André Engels, andreeng...@gmail.com