On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 8:06 AM, Maarten Deen <md...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 2014-10-06 06:48, Marc Gemis wrote:
>
>> After 3.5 years and 34.000 addresses, I have to admit that an import
>> is the only way to get addresses in OSM fast.
>>
>> But is the conclusion that we have to make that a crowed-sourced model
>> for map making failed ? That we have to move to an import of
>> third-party databases model ? One were the source is maintained
>> elsewhere and OSM is nothing more than a combination of all those
>> databases ?
>>

> I don't think anyone is claiming that. You seem to be fond of
> exaggerations.

I didn't say anybody claim that. I'm just wondering whether it failed. So
far we haven't seen a country that is capable to add the same amount of
address data by crowd-surfing as the imports in Denmark or The Netherlands.
So how many mappers do we need to add the same amount of address data in a
reasonable timeframe ? Is this number feasible ?
How long will users accept that missing data ? Will they switch to OSM
navigation without that data ?

Maybe I'm exaggerating, but when I read that there are thousands of paid
employees that keep the BAG up-to-date, how can the current mapping
population in Belgium handle this ?
So I think that one day, all communities will start importing data. Be it
addresses, bus stops, fire hydrants or another collections of data that is
kept by a government or company.
Just because there is much more data than mappers can handle by surveys.

I'm not saying OSM as an open database is failing. I just think the
survey+map model requires many more people than we'll ever find.

> OSM can be changed by everyone who has registered. So yes, a tourist
> mapper can change BAG data. AFAIK there is no process in place for updates
> of BAG data.

Ok, that's what they said on the forum as well, but just with a " but it
might be better to report it back as well". :-)

regards