Hi

I have worked in data analysis for many years, recently become interested in PT and added routes to my locality. I look at PT timetables frequently as much of my travel is by PT.

My use case is that I want to find times and routes from A to B, I do not know the route numbers or their actual route. I expect the system to be able to give times and routes and any interchanges.

As a system I fail to see how putting the timing detail on each stop will enable me to efficiently perform that use case. From what is described system would have to identify route, then iterate route to check if destination is on route, if on route then  select time entry in A then a time entry in B and ASSUME that they both relate to the same journey and have been updated correctly. For connections/interchanges the same rules apply. Those assumptions make storing the data against a stop extraordinarily unreliable, the proposed method does not take shortened journeys - eg school or factory journeys where the whole route is not travelled  - into account.

I suggest that the best way to get timetable data is to replicate the present system that most PT organisations do - a table related to the route. A timetable could be associated with an OSM route. A system will be required to generate meaningful times and itineraries, so should we be asking those existing OSM routing people what  is their preferred way to store timetable data that can be updated reliably.

Here in the UK timetable data is in the public domain - is that the case in other places?

TonyS