On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Paul Johnson<ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
>> There are streets in my town (Stow, MA) that are definitely not paved
>> that I have driven on with a Saturn SC2 and not had a problem.
>
> OK, but can you drive them in a PT Cruiser Touring Edition, a Porche
> 911, or some other low-slung, stiff-suspension vehicle on it without
> problems?

Safer there than primary streets in Boston. A friend lost money on
every test drive when rebuilding Lotus Europa cars Boston as he had to
replace at least one strut. Between utility dig crews' bad patches and
Jack Frost's po-tholes and frost heaves, our paved streets are often
in worse condition than unpaved -- which can be much more cheaply
resurfaced in the spring with a grader.

However the Condition=Intolerable on Greg's Stowe streets sounds like
they've not been regraded and while there may be clearance for a
Porsche or Lotus (not so rutted at to be two wheel tracks), it might
be as hazardous for the sporty stiff suspension and decorative hubcaps
as my city streets.

Surface=gravel would be a data improvement to much of the tiger
imports in my original hometown upcountry in Maine, but I've heard
some of the winterized cottage neighborhoods have been paved in the
last few decades, either being converted from private to public
ownership or by subscription. Alas the cost to pave the one that would
improve the value of the backside of Dad's woods far exceeds the value
he'd gain.
--
Bill in Boston
n1...@arrl.net bill.n1...@gmail.com