On 09/08/2009 01:18 PM, Paul Fox wrote:
> alex wrote:
>  > On 09/06/2009 05:56 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
>  > > I would tend to go with highway=track unless the street in question is a
>  > > gravelled over macadam or some other semi-paved surface mostly because
>  >
>  > I would expect that this applies to at least the majority of named roads...
>  >

> i don't understand.  "the majority of named roads" are, of
> course, paved.

You're right there.  I should have said “The majority of named roads
which are not paved with some form of concrete”

> i would say that the next most numerous are
> simply dirt roads (at least here in new england, and in most of
> the US that i've traveled).  roads which are partly paved, or
> which are "gravel over macadam" (i'm not entirely clear on what
> that means) would be a small minority.

You can find more on macadam here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macadam

I would consider a gravel-paved road
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravel_road) to be not a highway=track in
OSM terms, in most cases.

Further, I would expect that gravel-paved roads are the most common of
non-concrete-paved (including asphalt concrete) named roads, and that
most true dirt roads are unnamed.

And finally I would agree with you that regardless of their relative
numbers, true dirt roads (not gravel) as described at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirt_road should indeed be highway=track.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"