On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I don't see why TIGER 2010 should be treated differently from any
> >> other imports.  If you have data that you're sure is more accurate
> >> than what's already there, and are using well-established tags, then
> >> go ahead and import.  If you're not sure if your data is more accurate
> >> than what's already there, don't import.  If you are making up your
> >> own tags, then talk about it first.
> >
> > I can't think of any US, national-level imports (other than the original
> > TIGER import, perhaps) that have gone well.
>
> That seems to me like a good argument *against* importing TIGER in a
> uniform and somewhat organized manner.

I disagree. The point was that previous imports have not been organized or
uniform at all which helped lead to their failure. The original TIGER import
was the closest, probably.

> > In the areas I've spot-checked, TIGER 2010 has better resolution and more
> > road data than untouched TIGER-imported OSM data.
>
> How much of that is there, anyway?

Look at the TIGER edited map. There is *lots* of untouched TIGER data in
OSM:

http://open.mapquestapi.com/tigerviewer/index.html?zoom=9&lat=40.07546&lon=-76.329999&layers=B