At 2010-12-15 09:52, Mike N. wrote:
Having said that: let's start a thread here about getting the TIGER data
moving along. What steps can we take to move the shapefiles in to OSM
format? How can we collaborate on the mapping to OSM tags?

What is it you want to import from TIGER 2010 in the first place?  I'm
not convinced there's any feasible way to import TIGER 2010 while
guaranteeing that the import is more accurate than what's already
there.

 The exact thing I'm looking for in my area is

1.)   New streets - mostly from new subdivisions.
2.)  Improved geometry for road centerlines - if and where it exists in TIGER.
3.)  Updates on road names / other changes I've missed.

+1. When I spot-checked TIGER2009 centerlines for southern California, they were almost perfectly aligned with imagery. By comparison, the original TIGER (2005?) was pretty far off in most places. I've done a great deal of work manually, but I think there are still many places left untouched that could benefit from complete replacement. This would be much faster than manually aligning those places to imagery, even if it has to be done with some sort of manual matching tool.

Let's make sure we have consensus on the directional prefix/suffix issue, too. If I recall correctly, TIGER is now rational in this regard, and we should make sure we capture what's there.

Is it any better at road-type classifications, or is everything still A41? It seems that if an existing TIGER2005 road has been reviewed/edited/aligned, but is still highway=residential, and TIGER2010 has promoted it to a higher class, we should consider doing that. I suspect this applies to a lot of the map - particularly the lack of tertiary roads.

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>