On 2/15/2012 4:09 AM, Alan Mintz wrote:
At 2012-02-13 15:21, you wrote:
I've never been to Fresno, but I can't believe there would not be a
single primary road there. Still, that is the Truth According To
OSM[1]

I find that most areas where there has been little manual editing of the
TIGER import will have roads that are generally under-classified (i.e.
mostly highway=residential, with few if any higher-classed roads). I
don't know where TIGER's original classifications came from, but they
don't seem to match common sense very well or even documented sources,
like city general plans.

TIGER's classifications are primary for U.S. Highways and secondary for state highways. The large number of deviations from this is due to bad data on where these go.