On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Alan Mintz
<alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 2012-02-21 10:40, Martijn van Exel wrote:

>> > Here were the a2* mappings from the original import, fwiw:
>> >
>> This seems to have been taken from
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_to_OSM_Attribute_Map
>> What annoys me about that page (a lot, actually) is that there is no
>> clarity as to whether this is the *actual* mapping used.
>

> There does not seem to be a direct correlation between the original
> tiger:cfcc values and the highway=* tag any more. Some roads were (properly)
> promoted to secondary since the original import. Some of those should be
> promoted further (to primary).
>
> I wouldn't focus so much on those original values, or what was originally
> done at import, since the TIGER classifications are known to be incorrect as
> compared with local knowledge and official definitions by city planners. Did
> you see my previous post? I provided a link to the planning data that
> describe the official planning categories and how I would map them to OSM.

I wasn't around in the US community when the discussions over
classifications were going on, or when the TIGER import was done. I am
finding that understanding the current reality of road tagging in the
US is very difficult without inquiring about those discussions and
decisions. I do appreciate that it is of historical significance only,
but I still think something as major as the TIGER import should be
properly documented, which it turned out it was not. So I'm looking to
do at least that. Without those basics in place I see no way we can
even think about cleaning up the various wiki pages that deal with US
road classifications. As it is, it is almost impossible for mappers to
determine how to map highway=* from the information on there.
I did see your previous post and I think local data such as that
document will be helpful, although I think we also need a set of basic
rules that mappers can follow. The current classification page [1] is
on its way to providing that but contains way too much information in
terms of local and regional exceptions and too little visual cues
(images). I'm not saying that the information on there is not useful,
but I think the page should be broken up into a page that gives
mappers a set of universal rules for classification that can be
applied nationwide, and other pages that provide more in-depth
information pertaining to ref= tagging and local / regional
peculiarities that don't affect the basic classification.

Martijn

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States_roads_tagging
--
martijn van exel