On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Alan Mintz
<alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 2012-02-21 10:40, Martijn van Exel wrote:

>> > Here were the a2* mappings from the original import, fwiw:
>> >
>> This seems to have been taken from
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/TIGER_to_OSM_Attribute_Map
>> What annoys me about that page (a lot, actually) is that there is no
>> clarity as to whether this is the *actual* mapping used.
>

> There does not seem to be a direct correlation between the original
> tiger:cfcc values and the highway=* tag any more. Some roads were (properly)
> promoted to secondary since the original import. Some of those should be
> promoted further (to primary).
>
> I wouldn't focus so much on those original values, or what was originally
> done at import, since the TIGER classifications are known to be incorrect as
> compared with local knowledge and official definitions by city planners. Did
> you see my previous post? I provided a link to the planning data that
> describe the official planning categories and how I would map them to OSM.

By the way - I realize that I'm blending the specific case of Fresno
that started off this thread into the more general discussion of road
tagging. It's the Fresno case that got me thinking about it (again),
but I think the general discussion on road classification is the one
we should be having. Sorry for the confusion.

--
martijn van exel
geospatial omnivore