On 11/29/12 5:26 PM, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
I'm also very very doubtful about the value of importing city, state and (!)
country: if we don't have polygons for all of those already, then we really
should. Importing n billion nodes into the States which all say "hey, this
is in the States" will bloat the database and hammer download speeds for
absolutely no gain whatsoever.

sorry, but we have to do it that way. addressing in the US is by postal route,
which frequently does not match up with city/town/village boundaries.
i have a friend who lives in the Town of Colonie, Albany County, but his
postal address is Schenectady (Schenectady being a city in Schenectady
County, next door.)

and there are no polygons for postal routes, only best guesses. the post
office won't publish them on the grounds that they're routes, not polygons;
the Census Bureau has published them in the past, but they're guesses
because as far as i know, the postal service wasn't cooperative.

richard