I'm also in favor of using points for neighborhoods. Exact boundaries are
extremely subjective in some places. In places where they actually are
well-defined perhaps they are also different conceptually?

For example, in NYC we have fuzzy neighborhoods, of course, but we also
have "community board" boundaries which sometimes follow similar boundaries
to neighborhoods and can stand in for neighborhoods.