I think this is a problem more people have. In the GNIS import for
populated places, a lot of apartment buildings and trailer parks are
grouped together with 'real' populated places while they are really
separate things for all intents and purposes. But that may also have a lot
to do with lack of resolution of GNIS.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Mike N <nice...@att.net> wrote:

> On 6/11/2013 2:58 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>
>> OSM has pretty poor neighborhood coverage in the US. We have around 1100
>> place=neighbo[u]rhood. Geonames has ten times that at 11,000 (feature
>> class P.PPLX - not sure if all of those are neighborhoods) and Zillow
>> has 7,000.
>>

>    The TIGER import brought in many subdivisions as Hamlets, so the some
> information is there but is not necessarily the best form.
>
>   I'm not clear myself on how to tag the classic US subdivision and
> apartment complex.
>
>   I try to change these to areas when possible so that Nominatim-style
> searches doesn't identify nearby POIs outside the boundary as belonging to
> the nearest neighborhood.   Often, I can't determine the subdivision
> boundary from either Bing or a survey; I'd need to see an organization map
> which would be of questionable license.

Martijn van Exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com/
http://openstreetmap.us/