But how would such a thing be tagged?

For instance, here in Portland, we have defined neighborhoods, which have
neighborhood associations, and a city bureau (the Office of Neighborhood
Involvement) dedicated to working with those organizations. They are, in a very
real, if not technically legal sense, administrative units of the City.

There is often good correlation between perceived/colloquial neighborhood, and
the boundaries defined by the ONI, but not always.

So is there a need to distinguish in tags perceived neighborhoods and
administrative defined ones? And, if we insist on being able to ground truth
something, do perceived neighborhoods even belong anywhere in OSM? (For the
record, I think the ground truth "requirement" to be quite often untenable…)

d.