On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:

> These are *your* answer these questions. I disagree with your conclusion on
> #2, for reasons outlined.

Let's not get personal here...

I don't see how any of the discussions here have addressed some basic
questions, so please explain it to me. Specifically:

1. How can someone survey a neighborhood? It seems that in many cases,
neighborhoods are subjective, and people may disagree on where it is,
and both be right. How does your proposal address this issue?

2. If I understand your proposal correctly, you are saying that your
solution is that nodes, rather than polygons, offer a concept of
"fuzzyness", that solves some of the subjectiveness issues. But if you
know the data is "fuzzy" then isn't it also, by definition, then a bit
wrong as well, since we can't make radius assumptions about
neighborhoods, and our scale of neighborhood changes so much depending
on where we're talking about?

3. We already have "issues" with neighborhoods messing up the
geocoding problems in OSM. If we have lots of new users who are adding
nodes, won't this just get worse?

4. Why not agree to use another service for this data other than OSM?
Or conversely, why not use an existing dataset other than OSM, which
already contains neighborhoods, such as the Flickr dataset?

- Serge