I support this. Go to Google Maps and search for SoMa, South Beach, and
Rincon Hill. The office I am sitting in right now is in all of those
polygons.

Some cities formally define their neighborhoods, and OSM could use that
data. Some neighborhoods are more informal, and those may make sense as
nodes rather than polygons.