Thanks for the great info.  I'll definitely check out the Speed_limit
page for tips.

Also, I know that the data is largely good, partly because it _is_ the
Traffic Code and therefore is the legal origin of the speed limits of
the county, but mostly because I use many of the roads on there and every
one that I've checked out matches what I know and remember.

I can certainly enter data manually--like I said, I've made several edits
here and there over the last couple of years--but I was hoping to find
someone who is somewhat authoritative about mass changes.  I'm pretty
good with scripting and can probably not only extract the useful info
from the PDF (the document is here:
http://www.slocounty.ca.gov/Assets/PW/Traffic/Traffic+Codes.pdf ) but
could probably also parse an OSM extract to match up the ways and nodes
that need to be changed.  But I don't know what to do with the information
or how to get it back into OSM in a "safe" way.

So, if there's anyone out there who can assist me with that, too, that'd
be great.  :-)

Dave