On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 12:15 AM, Russ Nelson <nel...@crynwr.com> wrote:

> But "the map" *already* doesn't render abandoned railways,
> much less razed railways.

C'mon, let's not conflate the renderings with OSM.

> I can understand if someone deletes a railway by hitting the wrong
> key. I can understand if someone deletes a railway that is tagged
> incorrectly as disused or abandoned when it should be tagged as
> dismantled.

> I can understand if somone goes to the location of an
> abandoned railway, and doesn't see the evidence that an expert
> sees.

You're saying that these railways could be used for farming or build
over, right? To me, having something else over where a railroad was
indicates that the railroad is gone. There might be a legal right of
way, but if someone else is using the land for some other purpose,
then that's the current usage.

This is similar to the NYC community gardens. Many community gardens
in what the NYC government calls "abandoned lots". The government sees
abandoned lots, but the community sees gardens. The gardens are
visible from the ground, so I say they're gardens.

But if someone builds over the previous community garden and puts up a
building, the community garden is gone.

In another mail, someone else (or maybe you) make the point that
there's still a legal right, and therefore the railroad should stay.
But then what does one do about someoen making fake abandoned railroad
tags? How, with the only evidence being legal right, can I judge
what's a real abandoned railroad and what's not a real abandoned
railroad? It's enormously difficult to disprove the existence of
something.

- Serge