Frederik Ramm wrote:
> The problem of OSM editors being confused by a strange line that
> cuts through houses in the editor perhaps.

Which is perhaps 0.1% of the (largely rural) abandoned railroads mapped in
OSM, so largely immaterial to the discussion. And if you're confused by that
0.1%, heaven knows what you'll do when faced with the superfluity of admin
boundaries in many parts of the world. (And let's not start on proposed
highways.)

I'm fully with Russ and Greg on this one. For the few vocal deletionists who
seem to have ants in their pants about this, may I suggest that you just
learn to read 'railway=abandoned' as 'manmade=former_railway_grade', which
is entirely verifiable and consistent with OSM's approach of meaningful
broad-brush duck tagging. Thanks.

Richard