> I've fixed all of the relations that had their contents replaced wholesale
> by restoring to the last known good version and then adjusting as necessary
> to match the current data.  The one change to my method was to download all
> of the relation members after I load the prior version from a .osm XML
> file.  That way if any of the relation members have since been deleted they
> will be filtered out by JOSM when resolving the conflict with the existing
> relation.
> Thanks,
> Peter

Peter and everyone else, thank you for the help and restoring the
relations. The workflow to restore the relations has been captured in the
tracker [1]. As followup i'm going to write a diary post about the incident
for a broader discussion on what might have caused the issue and how it can
be avoided in future.

This is also a good experience for others to learn from on using complex
workflows while restoring relations. Will notify on list when the diary
post is up.

[1] https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/issues/185#issuecomment-220950169

--
Arun Ganesh