> Markus Fischer writes:
>> I am new to this and the area where I live is very well mapped (probably due
>> to high density of tech workers). Where do I go to start mapping areas that
>> are less well mapped (me aimlessly poking at this does not sound like a good
>> approach)?

I call to Markus' (and others newer to OSM) attention that USA Railroads remain
underdeveloped.  Our 2007 TIGER import brought in substantial rail, while newer
rail renderers (notably, OpenRailwayMap and OpenPublicTransportMap) have
developed tags which were not in those rail data, so OSM-US rail data can use
some serious updating.  Please be aware there are elements of rail as nodes
(signals, switches, crossings, control points, yard designations...), ways
(actual track infrastructure largely brought in from the TIGER import) and
relations (both route=railway relations, which group named subdivisions
toghther, as well as route=train, route-=subway, route=light_rail,
route=tram... relations which address passenger rail).  Don't worry if this is
initially confusing:  we document well in our many wiki pages and you'll get
the hang of it with practice.

If you are interested in improving USA Railroads, please see:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_States_railways

as a starting point (especially the first section, Editing Railroads starting
from TIGER data).  A "divide and conquer" strategy can be seen to be underway,
with statewide projects in New Mexico, Montana (lightly developed) and
especially California (well developed).

Choo, choo and happy mapping!

SteveA
California