Markus Fischer wrote:
> I am new to this and the area where I live is very well
> mapped (probably due to high density of tech workers).
> Where do I go to start mapping areas that are less well
> mapped (me aimlessly poking at this does not sound
> like a good approach)?

Possibly the biggest issue with OSM data in the US is rural roads from the
original TIGER import which haven't been touched. These were imported as
highway=residential, which in developed countries in OSM generally means a
paved road principally used to access residential properties. Sometimes they
are indeed rural residential roads, but often they're rough tracks, ditches
or worse.

Fixing these to their correct highway types is an easy (but massive!) job. I
tend to broadly go by this rule of thumb, though obviously being aware of
local circumstances:

* well-maintained paved road with centreline -> highway=tertiary
* other paved road -> highway=unclassified
* unpaved graded country road -> highway=unclassified, surface=unpaved (or
=gravel, =dirt...)
* unpaved road to houses -> highway=residential, surface=unpaved (or
=gravel, dirt...)
   or for driveways: -> highway=service, surface=unpaved (or =gravel,
dirt...)
* track, not suitable for general traffic -> highway=track

and I have function key shortcuts set up in Potlatch 2 for most of these.

Where a road genuinely is a paved residential road then you can just remove
the 'tiger:reviewed=no' tag (or change the 'no' to 'aerial'). Please don't
remove this tag if you haven't reviewed the road type, because otherwise
routers will think "oh, that must be a decent residential road" and send
poor unsuspecting bicyclists to die on rough tracks in the desert. :(

http://cycle.travel/map (my site!) shows rural roads with
highway=residential, tiger:reviewed=no as faint dashed grey lines when you
zoom in - for example,
http://cycle.travel/map?lat=33.9483&lon=-102.0613&zoom=13 - and it has a
little icon for editing this area in OSM right at the bottom right corner.
It's not updated very often so don't use it as a record of what you've done,
but it's useful for identifying areas that need fixing.

cheers
Richard