On 2016-11-12 14:44, Markus Fischer wrote:
Hi,

I am new to this and the area where I live is very well mapped (probably
due to high density of tech workers). Where do I go to start mapping
areas that are less well mapped (me aimlessly poking at this does not
sound like a good approach)?

The entire state of West Virginia -- no exaggeration. The original data imported from TIGER is badly misaligned throughout this state and rarely resembles the road network at all. Making matters worse, many public roads wind through hollows that even in the best aerial imagery are obscured by the surrounding mountains' shadows. Fortunately, newer TIGER data (available as an overlay in iD) is very good and makes it possible to clean up the mess.

While you're there, West Virginia's hilltop mining roads and power lines are much easier to trace from aerial imagery. I personally find mapping these features to be a good break from the stress of untangling TIGER roads.

--
m...@nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us