I saved this stuff  from long ago.  From Doug.
As for command prompts, there are two suggestions.  One is make sure you
press control-insert-c to auto detect the caret and, I've recommended this before but don't believe anybody ever tried it, setup your windows 10 command prompts to use a legacy console. Just open up a command prompt and press alt-space for the system menu. Select properties and in
 this dialog check the last checkbox "Use legacy console".  Restart your
 command prompt...you'll likely have to re-detect the caret after doing
this but from then on, it should work...at least mine does.

and more
Open the start menu and go to Windows System folder, Command prompt.
Open the context menu and go to Open file location.
Open the context menu on the shortcut file, go to the Options tab, and check
Use legacy console.
this should do the trick. The new console is useless to me.