Frederik Ramm wrote:
> A good cartographer would probably resort to displaying the repeating
> bit (the LINZ part) only once, somewhere at the bottom of the map, and
> show only those explictily that are different.

Another example of the need for better control of hierarchy ;)
There are two elements here - and this covers another niggling area so bare
with me ...

When you jump into some of the links provided HERE you may have no idea in the
world where you are, so a banner line with 'Auckland, New Zealand' would be
very useful anyway? Tagging of other information to that such as 'copyright'
would then be easy. Land Information New Zealand has provided a simple
statement of fact going with the data, so THAT should be stored somewhere with
a wiki page covering all the details, and the source=LINZ line simply flags a
link to that on the banner? No clutter on the map at all, but the useful
information is provided and everyone is happy? Since the whole of New Zealand
is being provide, simply identifying New Zealand in the banner would be enough
to trigger the message, just as United States would trigger a link to a TIGER
source message.

This still leaves the problem of CHANGES to the source data, and that we are
not going to agree on now, but the simple basic principle above would still
flag the possible use of data in an area as it would be difficult to remove
all traces of source=XXX tags other than direct database processing?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL