Cartinus wrote:
> Anybody wanting (semi-)read-only tags in OSM should read the discussions
> about
> the edit war in Cyprus to see how futile they are for this purpose.
>
> Can't edit a tag? Just delete the whole object and create it anew.

Which is why FOR LEGAL REASONS most decent wiki type frameworks don't have
delete as an option for basic users!
Openstreetmap HAS reached the point where the lack of security IS causing
problems, and while some people may not like the idea, the core data needs a
better level of protection.

> For a more practical example related to mass imports:
> The waterbodies from the AND import in the Netherlands are often less
> accurate
> than the Yahoo aerial imaging that has recently become available here. Now I
> can "tug" at the polygon from the AND import till it conforms better to the
> Yahoo image and put something in the source tag that reflects both sources.
> If the source tag was read-only, then I'd delete the polygon from the AND
> import and trace a new one from the Yahoo image. The net effect would be a
> break in the edit history, because nothing links the new polygon to the old
> one.

HOPEFULLY more countries will follow AND and New Zealand in providing accurate
data but only if that data is properly managed in the framework. PERSONALLY I
would like to be able to track the HISTORY of both data entry changes and more
important ( for genealogical reasons ) for physical changes on the ground. So
delete has to become an executive function and information like the core AND,
TIGER and hopefully this New Zealand data will be loaded and accessible. The
latest version of an object may not reflect the source data, but if the
cooperation of these external sources is to be nurtured and expanded, some
means of securing their information is essential?
Along with identifying their contributions!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL